A New Challenge - Fruit Mince Pies
- 1½ cups of saltanas
- 1 cup dried apricots
- ½ cup dried peaches
- 1 medium apple peeled, cored and grated
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ orange liqueur (such a Cointreau or Grand Marnier)
- 1 tsp ground ciniman
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 125 g unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp chilled water
- Put sultanas, apricots, peaches, apple, rind and juice into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Transfer to large bowl, and add sugar, liqueur and all spices. Stir until well combined and cover in the fridge until you can find some time to make pastry.
- Sift flour and icing sugar into a large bowl, add butter and rub together until it resembles find bread crumbs.
- Add egg yolk, and water (add a little extra water if you need to but be careful not to add too much, as you can't take it out again).
- Wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for no more than 30 mins.
- At this point preheat oven to 180, and grease tin.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until about 4mm thick, cut round with a 7cm biscuit cutter (or an egg ring).
- Line tray with dough and spoon in 1 tbsp of mince into each.
- Re-roll left over dough and cut out small star shapes to top pies.
- Bake for 15-20 mins or until light golden and pastry is cooked through. Cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve (optional)
Recipe by The Life of Clare at http://www.thelifeofclare.com.au/sweets-for-santa-fruit-mince-pies/