Asian Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 2 tsp of skinned and finely grated ginger
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 stick of lemon grass - pound with handle of knife to release aroma
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 4 chicken thigh fillets
- 1 x 220gm pack of thin work ready rice noodles
- 1 carrot julienne
- ½ cup snow peas thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of bok choy - slicing the crunchy white bit into 1 cm slices and the smooth green leaf into larger pieces
- 1 handful of bean shoots and some vietnamese mint leaves to serve
- Heat oil in a large pot over low heat and add garlic and ginger. Stir until fragrant and beginning to change colour.
- Add stock, cinnamon, anise, lemon grass, soy sauce and chicken. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cooking for 40 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare vegetables, finely julienning carrots, sweet peas and chopping bok choy.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from pot and shred. Remove cinnamon, lemon grass and star anise, return chicken to the pot.
- Add bok choy, carrot, snow peas and broken up noodles. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve big hot bowls full, topped with bean shoots and vietnamese mint.
Recipe by The Life of Clare at http://www.thelifeofclare.com.au/asian-chicken-and-vegetable-soup/