Author: Clare Reilly
- 450 gm currents
- 230 gm raisins
- 230 gm sultanas
- 120 gm peel
- 50 gm glace cherries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup brandy/sherry
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 225 gm butter
- 5 eggs
- Soak all the fruit with vanilla extract, spices, and brandy over night.
- The next day, preheat oven to 160*C and grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin. Make sure the lining comes up at least 4 cm higher than the tin.
- Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time until combined.
- Carefully fold in flour, once combined, fold in fruit.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake at 160*C for 1 hour, then reduce the oven to 140*C and bake for a further 2.5 hours.
- Allow cake to cool completely then use a pastry brush to brush brandy over cooled cake.
- Wrap well first in baking paper and then finally in aluminum foil.
- Unwrap weekly and brush with brandy.
- Cut on Christmas Day and enjoy!
Recipe by The Life of Clare at http://www.thelifeofclare.com.au/christmas-cake/