Spiced Poached Pear and Almond Cake
Author: Clare Reilly
- 500gm pears - peeled, quartered and cored
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 200 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 70 g ground almonds
- ½ cup sour cream
- Put water, sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves in a medium pot, stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add pears, cover with baking paper and lid and simmer for 10 mins.
- Remove pears with slotted spoon, keep poaching liquid.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius, butter a bundt tin.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mix well between each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Gently fold in dry ingredients, and sour cream.
- Spoon half of mixture into pan, cover with poached pears, cover with remaining cake batter. Smooth with spatula.
- Bake for 50 mins, cool for 10 mins, then turn out onto cake plate and spoon some of the poaching liquid over the cake.
Recipe by The Life of Clare at http://www.thelifeofclare.com.au/spiced-poached-pear-almond-cake/