Sweet Lemon Scrolls
Author: Clare Reilly
- 2¾ cups of plain flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2¼ tsp dried yeast
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup milk
- 2½ tbsp butter
- 1 large happy egg
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- seeds scraped from a vanilla bean
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Set aside ½ cup flour. In a large bowl combine 2¼ cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast.
- In another bowl heat water, milk and butter in microwave until butter is melted, stir wet mix into dry mix. Add the egg and only enough of the reserved flour to make a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for about 3-4 minutes, then place in lightly greased bowl and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling
- Rub together all ingredients until it becomes sandy.
- After the dough has rested, roll out to a 35x20 cm rectangle and sprinkle over the filling.
- Roll the dough tightly and cut into 10-11 pieces.
- Place into lightly greased 22 cm pie dish.
- Loosely cover the scrolls and allow to rise for 60-90 minutes.
- Once rolls have doubled in size preheat oven to 180*C and bake for 10 mins, then cover with foil for a further 15 mins at the same temperature.
- Mix all ingredients together and pour over cooled scrolls.
Recipe by The Life of Clare at http://www.thelifeofclare.com.au/sweet-lemon-scrolls/