On Saturday I went baking crazy! I was inspired by an empty house, school holidays and the sun!
I had been give a recipe for lime slice (a new one I’d never made before) from my next door neighbour, that I’d been meaning to make for ages.
I was inspired to make lime curd filled doughnuts from a tweet that I’d seen.
And my mum and dad asked if I could make dessert to bring around, of course I had to make something with lime.
Today I’m sharing the slice, and the others will come over the next few days.
This slice has been perfect for afternoon and morning snacks with a cuppa. It’s pretty sweet and I can only handle one piece but J has been eating 2.
- unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- pure icing sugar
- 75 g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 65 g cold butter, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 160o. Butter 18cm square tin.
- To make the base of the slice, mix 75g plain flour and 2 tablespoons of castor sugar in food processor quickly and then add the 65g of cold butter, process until mixture starts to ball up (I did this by hand, just rubbing the butter into the sugar and flour, it worked fine). Press dough into tray. bake for 20mins until golden.
- When base is nearly cooked, whisk eggs and sugar until well combined, but not thick.
- Stir in lemon juice, then sift in flour and whisk gently to combine.
- Remove base from oven and reset temperature to 150o .
- Pour lemon mixture over base and bake for about 35mins until top is golden and feels a little springy.
- Cool completely before cutting into slices.
- serve with a sprinkle of icing sugar.
What’s your favourite afternoon snack? Would you have tea of coffee with it?