Mary Bond is my grandma, my mum’s mum. The slice mentioned is light and fluffy, crispy and browned on top, with tender bites of apples nestled throughout the slice, a recipe that I have also baked hundreds and hundreds of times.
The Herald Sun has contacted Grandma and they are going to re-publish the recipe, but I thought I’d share it with you guys first.
Update: here is the re-published recipe. Printed in The Herald Sun Thursday 30th of May.
- 3 apples - peel, cored and cut into 1cm chunks
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 125 gm butter - melted
- 1 egg
- Add apples, sugar and flour to large mixing bowl, combine.
- Add butter and egg, stir until well combined.
- Press into lined slice tray.
- Bake 180 degrees for 35 - 40 mins.